Saturday, June 30, 2012

No sugar with my honey

I guess I should rename the blog Erin's sugar free therapy blog, at least for now. But I'm not going to, because that would be too much trouble.

So last night, Stephen and I went out on a date. We left the house at 7:30 (!!). I don't think we've done that since pre-children, maybe since college. I'm most definitely not a night owl, and I prefer to be home by 8:00. It's nice to have the children's bedtime for an excuse, but last night both the boys spent the night with my parents. Yay for grandparent time! But with Stephen working late (7:00), and without my usual excuse, we went wild...well, wild for us. After some discussion, we chose Olive Garden and headed out. I don't think we started eating until at least 8:00. I ate chicken and gnocchi soup, two and a half breadsticks (I suspect there's tons of sugar in them, but sometimes ignorance is bliss), and about three bites of my favorite Olive Garden entree ever: braised beef tortellini. I was too full of soup and breadsticks to eat any more than that. Never fear, I ate the rest today--for breakfast. Yum.

So at the start of the meal, I spent about three minutes trying to turn the standing flyer in the right direction so I wouldn't have to look at pictures of the desserts. (Remember my last blog about the see food diet.) I finally got the drink side facing out after much trouble, only to discover later in the dinner that it folded flat quite nicely and easily. Problem solved!

Actually, by the end of our meal, I turned dessert down quite easily. I was way too full to be tempted by anything. Even when our waiter plopped an Andes mint right in front of me, I slid it over to Stephen right away.

We wrapped the night up with a couple of rounds of bowling. I won one, Stephen won one. (Not that anyone's keeping score...) I decided I really need to work on my grip strength. The quality of my bowling game went downhill fast as my forearm got tired during the second game. (Because, you know, I'm such an insanely awesome bowler...)

Anyways, we had so much fun, and I probably enjoyed it more without the sugar fog that usually accompanies consuming a huge, rich restaurant dessert. I didn't need dessert, because my honey's plenty sweet already!

No comments:

Post a Comment